Tuesday, November 25, 2008

THANKSGIVING!!!!!!

I LOVE Thanksgiving!!!! My love stared years ago, although I can't pin point an exact year. I guess it has to do with the tradition of what we do. I will say it has changed over the past few years, and that is to be expected as our family grows and changes. It is the one holiday in which my family does the exact same thing every year. We spend the entire weekend with family and friends in Aspen, enjoying food, drinks and laughter.

It is heartening that the original celebration is nearly the same of which we celebrate today. "The very first Thanksgiving celebration, was in keeping with a long tradition of celebrating the harvest and giving thanks for a successful bounty of crops." Isn't that what we do today? We have added some American flair, sure, but we get together to celebrate and give thanks for food. There are food drives, people open their houses to share their food with those who may not have the means for a warm meal. We celebrate with food with others and give thanks.

For many years, at the dinner table, someone reads a prayer my mom cut out of the newspaper years ago. Throughout the meal , we go around the table and say what we are thankful for. Some times it is hard to think of things, other times, I have so much to rattle off my thanks. This is one of those years.
I am thankful for.....
  • Kyle, my wonderful husband who I love more every day
  • Family and living so close to be apart of big and small events in each other lives
  • Friends
  • A warm place to live
  • Ice cream
  • Good health
  • A job!!!
  • Optimism, in this state of economic unknown
I wish for you a fantastic Thanksgiving filled with family, friends and a full belly!

No comments: