Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sonneman Island 2011


This year’s trip north (Fargo and the island in Canada) was I think the best yet.  Maybe that’s because of Josie, what did we do with our lives before she was here, or a history of what to expect when you’re going to the island…I don’t know.  We flew to Fargo, ran all over town getting things we need to take to the island for Josie and then hit the road the next morning.  It’s normally a 7 hour drive, but with little ones…we really didn’t know how long it would take.  She did really well playing with Lisa and me in the back, napped a little and we managed to get out a couple of times.  One of those times included a stop to my FAVORITE, Tim Hortons.  I hadn’t been in about 12 years and it was just as I remembered…..awesome coffee and of course donuts.  I don’t eat donuts, expect at Tim Hortons. 

Frank went up a week before us to get things ready so he met us at the landing.  We loaded up the boat, put Josie’s life jacket on and headed to the island.  It was a fabulous week of fishing, family time, adventures with a 1 year old and a not baby-proofed island, and happy hours on the deck.  I was really nervous about how it would all unfold with Josie crawling all over the place.  When I say not baby-proofed island, I mean that with sincere honesty, dirt, sticks, bugs, small swallowable toys, electricity only when the generator is on, a stove in the middle of the house, no running fresh water...need I go on?  It was perfect and we all had a wonderful time.  The rest of the details are in the pictures

Grandpa & Josie
Aunt Lisa giving Josie some juice
Uncle Don & Aunt Patty meeting Josie
first night was spaghetti dinner = bath!


Josie and her furry friend Maggie

lounging in the hammock


all of a sudden she likes grass/weeds/sticks/dirt....

fish fry





No comments: